From WildBirdScoop.com Shop Amazon.com, .ca, .co.uk
Bluebird Feeder Review
Will Invite Other Guests Too
1. Bluebird Feeder Review
The wriggly morsels that are placed in Bluebird feeders do have charming
ways, not only for Bluebirds but many other species too. Many species
which are not normally attracted to seed feeders provide a special bird
watching treat for us at this type of wild bird feeder.
To attract these species of wild birds it is best to put mealworm feeders out during nesting season.
It is easier to attract them at this needy time when the parent birds are engaged in a furious race to feed their baby birds.
They will be far more willing to accept this offering when they are so busy and need the energy. Then continue to keep the feeder full all summer to keep the birds coming.
Feeders will have to be placed where they will be noticed and where the
birds “hang out”.
Many of the birds you will want to attract with this type of feeder do not associate bird feeders supplied by humans as a source of food, such as Orioles, Bluebirds, Robins.
It may take some coaxing and patience.
It is best to put just a few mealworms out in the bluebird feeder to
start. The same time of day, everyday and sometimes whistling or making
some other pleasant noise (not an alarming sound) when you put them into
the feeder. Eventually the birds will associate that time of day and
sound with mealworms being made available.
2. List of Features
- Clear acrylic Bluebird or mealworm feeders are available for
purchase. A clear container is important to hold the mealworms so they
will be easily visible to the birds. This is not an absolute must, but
may yield faster results than the feeder which is pictured above.
- The container needs to have sides to contain live mealworms as they are active.
- Mealworms along with a "selection" of other bugs can be purchased in suet.
3. Will a Special Bird Food be Needed in a Bluebird Feeder?
Live or dried meal worms. → Mealworms are really not worms at all, they are beetle larvae. They are easy to keep. (For some people!)
They do not smell and are not slimy like earthworms. They are quite active, so they will need to be kept in a secure container that breaths.
Most backyard bird feeders will likely want to purchase freeze-dried meal worms.
Fruit & Jelly are also suitable for a Bluebird Feeder.
4. What are the Positives of Hanging a Meal Worm Feeder?
- A meal worm feeder is an opportunity for attracting backyard birds which normally would not come to a regular seed feeder.
- Mealworms are very easy to maintain when you buy them live.
- Cultivating your own supply of mealworms after you have purchased them, can provide very inexpensive bird food.
- If buying them live does not appeal to you then dried mealworms are available for purchase and well accepted by birds too.
- Mealworms are often available at local pet stores and birding supply stores. Live and dried mealworms can also be mail ordered.
Choose from many excellent Bluebird Feeders here
5. What are the Problems?
- It may be unpleasant for some people to deal with live meal worms! They can be quite active.
is important to acquire the proper type of meal worm as some are too
large for the birds that they are intended to attract in your backyard
and a little nippy!
6. User Opinions
A mealworm feeder is becoming a very popular type of backyard bird feeder and many of our customers found this type of wild bird feeder irresistible.
few customers to our store were a little turned off by the thought of
caring for these wriggly guys and keeping them in the refrigerator!
These customers I steered towards the freeze dried type. But most people
couldn’t wait to give it a try.
7. List of Birds Attracted to a Bluebird Feeder
Discover Different Types of Bird Feeders Below & Top Right
- Platform feeders are often referred to as tray feeders, table feeders or fly thru feeders. They are appropriately named "fly thru" because they are open allowing the birds to fly in, grab what they like and go.
- Ground Bird Feeder - A ground birdfeeder can be simply a patch of ground scattered with seed. But using a well-designed ground feeder will save your seed from waste.
- Window Feeders are an exciting way to draw backyard birds up close for a good look at their beauty and behaviour.
All About Bird Feeders
- How to Clean Seed Feeders When we make the decision to draw wild birds to our backyards with feeders, baths or houses we also, whether we first realize it or not, must be committed to keeping them clean.
- Where To Place Bird Feeders? It will take some experimenting on your part to find the best location for your feeder in your own backyard. Here are some tips.
- When To Take Down? Many people are concerned if they leave their feeders up in the autumn that wild birds will not migrate. Find out the truth.
Home> Types of Wild Bird Feeders>