Suet Bird Feeders Hold
A Hardy Winter Food for Wild Birds
You will find my top picks for suet feeders & suet cakes etc on this page.
1. General Review for Suet Bird Feeders
Suet bird feeders come in many shapes and sizes.
They are designed to hold the piece of suet so that it is accessible for the birds to eat without wasting it.
Suet holders are usually a cage of some sort and can be any shape or size.
offers energy-rich nutrition with its high fat content.
birds warm during cold temperatures making it the perfect food for cold
It is also the ideal food for high activity times like spring.
is a very busy, energy taxing time of year for wild birds.
completed their long journey, and immediately begin defending
territories, mating, building nests and raising young.
Many will indulge
in suet during this season for the extra boost they need and also feed
it to their young
Manufactured suet bird feeders come in a variety
of styles, shapes and sizes.
2. List of Suet Feeder Styles
- Simple flat box shaped, wire suet cage with a plastic coating is
very common and inexpensive like the ones in the pictures on this page. They hold a suet cake sold in many wild
bird stores. Some are double size to hold two cakes.
- Spread suet on branches or trunk of trees.
- Suet can be stuffed into holes in a tree or post.
- Suet can be worked into the holes of a feeder log. (A chunk of log
not too thick, that has been drilled at intervals and hung up for the
wild birds; is natural looking and great fun.) See directions here.
Suet Feeders ~ My Top Picks
This will also keep out Starlings & Blackbirds.
A good selection of Suet Logs & Suet Plugs available here.
7 Handy Suet Holder Containers From the Home
Ice cream cones
Hard taco shells
Baked tart or pie shells
Cup shaped fruit rind from oranges or grapefruit
3. Best Seed Choice for This Feeder
Beef fat alone can be used or mixed with other fats or peanut butter.
These bird foods are the glue for other ingredients that can be mixed
Please go to Suet Bird Food Recipes for a comprehensive list of bird food that can be added to suet for tasty bird meals.
4. Positive Features of Feeding Suet to Our Feathered Friends
- Suet bird feeders will attract birds that will not come to other types of feeders.
- Suet bird food can be offered all year with proper preparation
techniques and by placing suet bird feeders in the shade during warm
weather. Summer suet can also be purchased at bird seed suppliers.
- Bird suet does not have to be protected from the elements like seed.
5. What Problems Can Arise From Suet Feeding ?
- Suet bird feeders must be washed and disinfected more often in warmer weather.
- Suet can become rancid in warm weather. (See Suet Bird Food for solutions to this problem.)
- Some people are concerned that birds can get their feet caught in
the mesh of onion bags when used as a suet feeder. This is not a common
occurrence and has rarely been reported. It should not prevent the use
of mesh bags for bird feeding.
- Keeping suet out of the reach of certain animals or birds can take some effort.
or Blackbirds (Grackles) can be a particularly persistent, aggravating
problem for suet feeding. A group of these birds can clean a suet feeder
out very quickly. Put out a fresh supply of suet and
come back fifteen minutes later and it’s gone!
How to Stop Blackbirds & Starlings From Eating Suet Cakes Too Quickly?
- Use pure suet with nothing mixed into it, as they tend not to like plain suet.
- Use suet only mixed with nyjer, and or safflower seed. (Seeds they are not fond of.)
- Stop offering suet for a period of time, such as two weeks, then try
again. Hopefully the unwanted visitors will have moved on.
- Use an upside-down feeder specially adapted for holding suet. Only clinging birds are able to use this type
of feeder, such as Chickadees, Nuthatches and Woodpeckers.
6. User Opinions About Suet Holders
Anyone who has never used a suet feeder and does, is always delighted
with the results. People who feed the birds rave at the wide variety and
number of wild birds that visit their suet bird feeder.
Many species of
Woodpeckers and insect eating species will rarely come to a regular
seed feeder. But they will sit in the trees waiting their turn at a suet
7. List Of Birds Attracted To A Suet Holder
Suet will draw birds you will not see with any other type of feeder:
Three Toed Woodpecker
Common Grackle (Blackbird)
The following list of bird species can be observed eating suet from time to time.
Looking for a particular product? Search here!
Learn More About Suet
- Share Your Bird Feeder PlansPlease submit your ideas, even if you wouldn’t consider yourself “handy” or talented, but have come up with an interesting way to feed your feathered friends that works. If not, then enjoy what others have shared.
- Woodpecker Feeder Plan 1 A great, simple to make suet feeder that doesn’t take woodworking skills or expensive woodworking tools to make it.
Feeder Plan 2 Many types of wild birds will use this Woodpecker Feeder, besides the Woodpeckers, such as Chickadees and Nuthatches. You can also purchase suet plugs to fill it or stuff it with your own filling. Have a look.
Wild Bird Feeders
Suet Bird Feeder