Pest Control At Bird Feeders
"How can I stop a Hawk
from hunting wild birds at my bird feeders?"
Pest control at bird feeders is necessary. Understanding all the pests
that come to bird feeders and bird houses is essential before success at
controlling them is possible. It is essential to understand wild bird
behaviour and other wild animal behaviour too.
What is the Most Essential Factor?
An unsolicited animal will never show-up in a backyard bird feeding
All who show up, consider themselves seduced by your ask.
If you put out a
bird feeder with seed in it, the only one who knows who it is intended
for, is you.
All wild animals with two legs or four, regard it as an invite.
But you have to understand this, in order to not, invite them.
Therefore a plan built with knowledge about wild bird behaviour and wild animal behaviour, is necessary.
Understanding this simple concept is the first step in being successful in attracting backyard birds and managing others who inevitably try to crash the party!
Bonus 7 Part Series
Hummingbirds "The Jewelled Warriors"
When You sign up for our
Do You Know All The Callers At Your Bird Feeder?
All animals who show up are a result of critters trying to
Some of the pests are only annoyances, because they consume
large quantities of bird seed and drive away the wild birds we want to
see at our bird feeders.
Your feeders & bird bath are invitations.
All living things that eat seed, nuts, nectar, suet & drink water accept the invite.
Now we must manage the overture we have made.
Attracting wild birds to our gardens, to observe
their behaviour and enjoy their beauty, is of course the reason we put
up bird feeders, bird houses and bird baths in our backyards.
So we are not happy when they are being driven away.
But other pests that are drawn to our backyards are not attracted to the seed, but to the wild birds themselves.
This poses an even more serious problem as we have then created a situation of providing meals for predators
such as cats, birds of prey, snakes, squirrels etc.
So to totally
ignore how this situation is playing out in our backyard, is
irresponsible, since we have invited all the visitors in the first place.
But on the other hand the tension between predator and prey is part of
the course of nature.
We are only concerned here with a situation that
tips the balance.
who puts up a bird feeder, fills it with seed and expects to
successfully attract the wild birds they want to see, may be sadly
A person must be willing to learn how to attract the birds
they want to visit their yard, deter the unsolicited, and be ready
to put some effort into this endeavour.
The solutions are not impossible or difficult.
But understanding that you have, asked everyone, who shows up, helps you to realize that you are the solution.
Pest control at bird feeders can be an aggravating pursuit, or a well planned, and managed victory.
Build a Different Plan To Stop Asking, Those You Did Not Mean to Ask in the First Place!
How To Fix Backyard Bird Feeding Problems Here & In Right Column:
- Pests at Bird Feeders Understanding all the pests that come to bird feeders and bird houses is essential before success at controlling them is possible.
- #1 Killer of Wild Birds
Cats are the leading cause of bird deaths in North America. Pets and
feral cats are responsible for millions of wild bird deaths each year.
- #2 Killer of Wild Birds Windows. The windows in our homes are a problem as most of us know, but the windows in big city buildings kill millions. There are solutions.
- Backyard Predators There are other animals that prey on our songbirds in our backyards. Learn what they are so you can help.
- Where are they in winter? It can happen any time of year. The birds you were happily feeding all of sudden disappear. What can be done?
- Bird Feeding Problems Sometimes it seems like there are a lot of problems to overcome when feeding birds in your outdoor space. Find the answers.
- Rodent Control of Rats This situation calls for strategic and timely action. Learn the steps to achieving rat control.
- Baffle the Squirrels!
This is often the bird feeding problem people deal with the most often.
Most backyard bird watchers will have to go to war with these four
legged ones at some point. There are many solutions. Discover them here.
- About Squirrels Knowing what to expect will help a lot. You may consider them an enemy, but they really are just animals trying to survive.
- Squirrel Resistant Bird Feeders Squirrel proof bird feeders or squirrel resistant bird feeders keep squirrels from eating all your bird food and/or prevent them from damaging your feeders by gnawing on them.
- Squirrel Feeders Sometimes the only solution to backyard harmony with squirrels, is to offer them their very own feeder. They will pay you back with entertaining antics to watch!
Home> Overcome Bird Feeding Problems>
Pest Control At Bird Feeders