Recipes For Suet 2 Special “Beak Smack’n” Good Mixes
My Favourite Recipes For Homemade Suet
Loves These Recipes ?
The following recipes for suet are my favorites and the first ones I used for years, in both summer and winter. It lasts very well during the heat in summer and doesn’t get all sloppy. (I always keep suet feeders in the shade in summer.)
The wild birds just love it. But be fairly warned, if you start to use it, be prepared to mix it often!
Attract A Male Hairy WoodpeckerBest Suet is the Hard Fat Around the Kidney from Beef or Mutton
List of Interesting Ingredients To Add to Recipes for Suet
- Cat food (canned or dry)
- Dog food (canned or dry)
- Processed meat (no additives or spice)
- Chopped dried fruit
- Dried cranberries
- Dried elderberries
- Wild berries
- Bakery products (bread, buns, doughnuts, cookies, crackers)
- Chopped corn
- Seeds (hemp, poppy)
- Ground bone (bone meal or cuttlebone)
- Chopped nuts
- Sunflower seeds shelled
- Other shelled seeds
- Ants’ eggs
- Dried crushed egg shells
- Sand/gravel – birds need this for digestion
The last two ingredients are to provide wild birds with their need for calcium from the eggshells and grit for digestion from the sand.
Red-breasted & White-breasted Nuthatches Enjoying Suet Together
Both these ingredients are difficult for wild birds to find during the winter in snowy regions. (More about Winter Feeding for Bird Watching.)
They will both be well accepted by the birds if served separately on their own too.)
Recipes for suet should be made with a variety of wild bird food to increase its nutritional value.
List of Creative & Interesting Holders of Recipes for Suet
- Cut oranges or grapefruits in half, then scoop out the pulp to make little fruit baskets. Attach string or yarn to hang when filled with suet.
- Same as above with melon or pumpkin shells. Leaving a little pulp will be well received.
- coconut shells
- hard taco shells
- ice cream cones
- baked tart or pie shells
Re-purposed household containers:
- plastic food containers
- cartons (like milk comes in) – pack mixture to top, cool in the refrigerator, then slide or cut out of the carton, slice
- old pottery or ceramic bowls and cups no longer used
Male Downy Woodpecker Dining
On A DIY Recipe For Suet
Suet Feeders ~ My Top Picks
This will also keep out Starlings & Blackbirds.
Wild birds will love mealworms added to your homemade suet.
Fascinating and Unusual Suet Bird Food!
We had a neighbour who lived down the road from us, who had an intriguing practice for bird watching. He would collect “road kill” and deposit the carcasses on the side of the road in front of his house.
This unusual custom would draw Turkey Vultures for all to watch. I personally found it fascinating and wished we lived closer to get a better view.
But I just couldn’t stomach the thought of collecting “road kill” myself!
Leave Out The Starlings!
Yes, the name is correct for these recipes for suet. Two suet mixtures which Starlings don’t like.
- 1 cup rendered beef suet
- 2 cups cracked corn finely chopped
- 2 cups white or yellow cornmeal
- Heat suet and bring to boil, take the pot off the heat
- Mix in cracked corn and cornmeal.
- Return pot to stove and heat the entire mixture together.
- Pour mixture into the container.
Another option is, follow the same directions as above but only use the following ingredients to make your suet bird food.
- 1 cup rendered beef suet
- 1½ cups white or yellow cornmeal
Bird Feeder Plans For Suet
Woodpecker Feeder Plan 1 A great, simple to make suet feeder that doesn’t take woodworking skills or expensive woodworking tools to make it.
Woodpecker Feeder Plan 2 Many types of wild birds will use this Woodpecker Feeder, besides the Woodpeckers, such as Chickadees and Nuthatches. You can also purchase suet plugs to fill it or stuff it with your own filling. Have a look.
Share Your Bird Feeder Plans Enjoy homemade bird feeder plans that other site visitors have shared. And please feel invited to share your plans with everyone with photos too if you have them.