Not Just Anyway
Please see my gold star ratings for bird houses, bird house kits & books here on this page.
How To Build A Bird House
With Style & Functionality
How to Build a Bird House That Wild Birds Will Live In
How to make a bird house that will actually be used requires a little knowledge but it is not complicated.
There are a few things that will be important to know, to successfully attract birds to use a bird house and raise their young to full fledge.
It is important to know what attracts a specific wild bird to a bird house and what assists them in providing good baby bird care.
Studies have shown that wild birds prefer home made bird houses over manufactured houses.
This may be due to some simple factors such as expense in mass producing a good quality product.
Some elements that wild birds like may be left out because it is expensive to mass produce those elements.
Please don’t be daunted by the statement made earlier that birds prefer homemade bird houses and you know you are all thumbs when it comes to hands-on projects.
- You can buy a bird house kit right here on this page and have a homemade bird house.
- Or purchase one of the many books featured here on this page with excellent, easy to follow plans.
- Or purchase one that is already made by someone else.
10 Features Of Good Bird House Plans:
- Studies have shown that wild birds prefer home-made bird houses that are painted in shades of tan, brown or grey.
- Only use oil paints that are classified as safe for bird houses or latex paints (water based paints).
- A bird house must have ventilation.
From A Plan
- All bird houses must be able to be opened to have the old nest removed.
- How to build a bird house with the correct size entrance hole is very important. It must be the correct size for the bird house design and the type of wild bird that it is to attract. (The measurements are given in a chart, half way down building bird houses.)
- To install a perch or not, is a noteworthy consideration. This may prove to help predators have access to the inside of your bird house and the young baby birds before they are ready to fledge.
- Protection from predators.
- Drainage holes are a necessity.
- Install a ladder on the inside. Really! (Simply score the inside of the wall under the entrance hole providing a rough surface for the young birds tograb onto to climb out.)
- Use suitable building materials for building houses for birds.
Bird Houses & Building Bird Houses
Two modifications I would suggest to any bird house plans you make or purchase:
- Omit installing the perches, as perches only assist predators to get in easier!
- Make a modification to the birdhouse instructions to make it easy to open your bird house so you can clean it out every year in the autumn.
And answer this question before you start your search:
“Do you want a hanging bird home or do you want a bird house on a pole, in which case you will need to erect a bird house pole?
How To Build A
Bird House Books
More On How To Build A Bird House
- It will also be necessary to know how to build a bird house that will be used by the birds that live in the area where a bird house is to be erected. For example, building houses for Bluebirds in the suburbs of a large city would only bring disappointing results as Bluebirds live in country settings with wide open areas such as farmers fields. A much more successful outcome will be achieved by hanging a Wren house in residential areas.
- It will also be essential to have knowledge of each individual species preferences for bird house design. Some birds like and require a larger cavitywhile others like a tight and cozy space and yet others live in family groups to raise their young to full fledge. For instance a Chickadee would not choose the same style of house as a Purple Martin.
For Social Nesters
- Decorative bird houses and elaborate bird house designs are more for pleasing people. There is nothing wrong of course, in learning how to build a bird house that pleases both, the bird watcher and the wild birds. ?
- I have provided bird house plans and easy birdhouse kits right here on this page for you.
More Information About Bird Houses Below & In Sidebar Above
- Gourd Houses ~ Native North Americans were the first to craft gourds into bird houses to attract wild birds. Often they are wild birds first choice for a bird home.
- Roosting Boxes provide valuable shelter for birds at any time during the year for night time habitation and shelter from inclement weather.
- Snags ~ Dead or dying trees create a snag and that is a good thing. A snag provides housing, food and a place of safety from predators.