Squirrel Buster Plus Review
When we set out to feed wild birds, we aim to attract the beautiful avian friends we want to see like Northern Cardinals, the type of Chickadees that live in our area, and many of the other common backyard songbirds that are so popular to see.
Squirrel Buster Plus
Feed the birds, not the squirrels!
What Problems Will The Squirrel Buster Plus Review Solve?
Sometimes that simple idea and desire, to happily feed wild birds, turns into a tough challenge, because our feeders also draw larger birds that we don't want, and squirrels which create a headache to get rid of.
We spend a lot of money on seed, or on a new feeder because squirrels can cause tons of damage to a feeder trying to get at the seed.
Sometimes just a little seed left in a corner of a feeder, will provoke a squirrel to completely destroy a feeder in the attempt to get that small bit of food.
Or even a small flock of Blackbirds or Starlings can empty a feeder quickly.
Therefore we spend far too much money than necessary, keeping the feeders full, and replacing them.
Does that sound familiar?
Bonus 7 Part Series
Hummingbirds "The Jewelled Warriors"
When You sign up for our
How The Squirrel Buster Plus Works?
- When hung properly, which means ensuring an 18inch/47cm clearance on all sides, no squirrel of any size or “talent” will be able to feed from this feeder.
There is a shroud that is weight sensitive, which the owner can adjust, will slide down over the seed ports to prevent squirrels or any size bird from eating from this feeder.
- The manufacturer, Brome Bird Care, promises to service this feeder for the rest of your entire life.
Which means they will, free of charge, replace parts, or even the entire feeder if need be for as long as you own the feeder.
- A Cardinal ring is included with the feeder. Some wild birds, like Cardinals, prefer to eat facing their food. They do not like to sit on a perch, and turn their head sideways to eat.
The Cardinal ring also allows more birds to eat at one time.
- The feeder parts that a squirrel would be able to reach is made of a material called RoxResin which squirrels cannot chew through. So no more worries about your feeder being destroyed by chewing.
- The seed is kept fresh longer than in other types of feeders, because of a patented Seed Ventilation System that is exclusive to Brome Bird Care, that keeps the seed dry and from getting mouldy.
- You have a choice about which birds or animals can use your feeder with the patented adjustable spring mechanism. This means no more Blackbirds hogging your feeder!
- The Squirrel Buster Plus has been designed to make it very easy to take apart for cleaning (a very necessary task when feeding wild birds to prevent bird sickness). No tools are necessary to clean the feeder, making it very convenient to look after.
Bird Traffic On A Squirrel Buster Plus
No squirrels because they have given up!
How The Shroud Works?
The shroud, or cover is pulled down over the seed ports (the holes that allow the birds to access the seed), making them inaccessible to squirrels or larger birds.
The Cardinal ring is attached to the shroud, so when the squirrel grabs hold of it, the animals weight pulls the shroud down to cover the seed ports.
The shroud has holes which line-up perfectly with the seed holes, to allow the birds you want to see, the ability to dine at the feeder in a comfortable manner, and not be pushed off by squirrels or larger birds.
The manufacturer suggests that you leave the adjustable weight mechanism as is, which is set to the factory setting, until you have tried it out for a while.
This way you will be able to determine whether it will need to be modified for your situation.
If it does need to be made more sensitive to heavier birds, then the transparent cartridge will need to be turned clockwise.
The red line indicator will lower down, increasing the weight required to move the shroud down and close off the seed ports.
To stop lighter weight birds from feeding, turn the cartridge counter clockwise, and the red line will go up, allowing less heavy birds to be blocked from dining.
This is very useful when Starlings decide to visit!
Squirrel Buster Plus Feeder Facts
- This feeder will hold 5.2 lbs/2.4 kgs of seed making it unnecessary to refill as often as with smaller feeders.
- Size: 6"x6"x28" (w/hanger).
- 6 feeding ports allows multiple birds to eat at once.
- Wild Bird Feeder with Cardinal Ring.
- Weight adjustable to allow Cardinals and Grosbeaks to eat.
- Squirrels cannot chew it!
- Entertaining to watch the squirrels and larger birds try to use this feeder.
But, they will give up on attempts to use the feeder, after a while.
The entertainment stops then, until new animals find it.
- Attractive to look at.
- Fill with shelled seed for mess free bird feeding
This was our First Prize in our 2018
"Chow Time" Photo Contest
(But you can purchase one from Amazon.)
Where To Place The Squirrel Buster Plus Bird Feeder?
1. First consideration is to place the feeder where you will be able to enjoy watching all the activity.
For instance, the feeder can be hung from the eaves of the house using a hook, in front of a window where you often sit inside, or patio doors by the dining table. In your garden using a hook from a tree branch, on a deck, or a fence. Use brackets, to hang the feeder from the side of your house, or from a bird feeder hook inserted in the ground.
2. Second, remember that because the “door closer” or shroud is weight triggered, if the Squirrel Buster Plus is too close to a brick wall for instance, then the squirrels will be able to suspend themselves between the wall and the feeder without putting weight on the ring, which closes off access to the food.
This will totally negate the usefulness of the feeder.
3. Thirdly, use the accessories below to mount the feeder on a pole anywhere in the yard where you choose.
How To Clean The Squirrel Buster Plus
1. The entire feeder has been designed with cleaning in mind. There are no tools needed to take the feeder apart for cleaning or to put it back together.
2. Simply separate the feeder parts from one another, immerse them in water with a small amount of dish soap, vinegar or a couple of drops of bleach.
3. Use a long brush for washing the tube.
4. Rinse all parts very well to remove the soap and disinfectant.
5. Allow all the feeder pieces to dry thoroughly, before reassembling.
6. Fill with fresh seed and rehang for your feathered friends to enjoy peaceful dining!
Squirrel Buster Plus
Discover Different Types of Bird Feeders
- Squirrel Buster Plus Review Squirrel Buster Plus review will provide good reasons why this feeder will be the answer to many of the problems experienced while feeding wild birds outdoors.
- Platform feeders are often referred to as tray feeders, table feeders or fly thru feeders. They are appropriately named "fly thru" because they are open allowing the birds to fly in, grab what they like and go.
- Fly Thru Feeder Are really a style of platform feeder with a roof, allowing open spaces for birds to get what they want quick.
- Ground Bird Feeder - A ground birdfeeder can be simply a patch of ground scattered with seed. But using a well-designed ground feeder will save your seed from waste.
- Hummingbird Feeders - There is more effort in maintaining a nectar feeder than a seed feeder, but it is far less expensive to fill and very rewarding.
- Bluebird Feeder - The wriggly morsels that are placed in Bluebird feeders do have charming ways, not only for Bluebirds but many other species too.
- Tube Feeders - This type of feeder can be used to attract smaller specific types of birds. They also serve as a deterrent for birds which are considered pests.
- Thistle Feeders and thistle seed are just what the “bird” doctor ordered if you want to attract Goldfinches to your yard.
- Window Feeders are an exciting way to draw backyard birds up close for a good look at their beauty and behaviour.
- Suet Feeders are a fantastic energy source for wild birds keeping them warm in winter and giving them the fuel they need for activities like territorial defence, mating, raising young.
All About Bird Feeders
How to Clean Seed
Feeders When we make the decision to draw wild birds to our
backyards with feeders, baths or houses we also, whether we first realize
it or not, must be committed to keeping them clean.
- Where To Place Bird
Feeders? It will take some experimenting on your part to find
the best location for your feeder in your own backyard. Here are some
To Take Down? Many people are concerned if they leave their
feeders up in the autumn that wild birds will not migrate. Find out the
- We're Moving!? How
to plan for a move from your home where you feed backyard birds without
causing your bird feeder visitors undue stress?
- Solve Bird
Feeding Problems Discover safe solutions to 19 backyard bird
feeding problems that can arise from time to time. Don't put up with
annoyances when there are fixes.
- Bird Feeder
Plans Enjoy homemade bird feeder plans that other site
visitors have shared. And please feel invited to share your plans with
everyone with photos too if you have them.
- How to Feed Finches? Feeding Finches of all varieties is very rewarding. Find out what they like to eat and the best feeders to use.
- Take the
Bird Feeder Quiz We can learn so much from taking quizzes
that test our knowledge. You may be surprised at how much you know and
have fun doing it too.
- Bird Feeders
FAQ Check out what other bird watchers are curious about and
discover the answers to questions that are often very common among
backyard birders. Throw your helpful ideas in too.
Home> Choose a Variety of Wild Bird Feeders>
Squirrel Buster Plus Review