How To Choose The Right Bird Feeder & The Best Bird Feeder?
See my best choices for feeders near the bottom of this page.
Knowing how to choose the right bird feeder and seed to attract a variety of
feathered friends is the goal of many bird watchers.
Learning the style of feeder for each of the birds one wants to see and the type of seed they eat to fill each feeder with, will bring success.
Matching those three things together is important.
A Goldfinch feeder or thistle feeder which most often is a tube feeder, is only useful when filled with thistle/nyjer seed.
The feeding ports in this style of feeder are very small because the seed is very tiny.
If you were to place this seed in another type of seed feeder the seed would all blow away.
Also not all birds like thistle seed, nor can very many eat from this style of feeder as it is only suitable for small birds like Finches and Chickadees.
These small birds can eat with their heads turned sideways or facing forward as well as upside-down!
Anyway at all is easy for these birds to manage.
Other birds are not nearly as flexible in their eating habits and have very specific preferences for the way they eat.
Cardinals for instance prefer to sit facing their food and their favourite seed is black oil sunflower seed and safflower seed running a close second.
A Cardinal is too large to eat from a thistle feeder, they don’t like to have their head turned to the side when they have to hang on to a small perch and they are not fond of thistle seed.
Cardinals prefer a platform or chalet type feeder.
They can land easily on this style of feeder and eat facing forward.
Many other birds like this type of feeder too.
This can be a good thing, but some of the bully birds like Bluejays, Blackbirds and Starlings like this type of feeder too.
So it is important to know how to choose the right bird feeders to attract the wild birds you want to watch and then the appropriate seed to use in that feeder.
What Type Of Feeder To Start Out With?
How to choose the right bird feeder to start out your bird feeding hobby is a fun task to learn.
Things to think about.
Setting out a backyard that provides an array of tastes and feeding
venues will result in less competition for food and dining spots.
will allow for a happily populated bird habitat in your backyard.
Usually I have
about a dozen feeders out at one time.
This largely depends on the season and how much time I have to look after them.
This number of feeders spread around the yard seems to provide the needs of all my visitors.
I have known people who have far more and others who prefer one feeder to look after!
But your decision needs to suit your wants and needs.
I started out with only one feeder for years. If that’s all you think
you want, go for it!
You will definitely enjoy each one of your
Remember sometimes when I look out in my yard I only see one
bird at my feeders.
There seems to be no end to the types of feeders available!
Good companies provide a wide variety of bird supplies.
Tips For How To Choose The Right Bird Feeder:
Let’s explore the types of bird feeders for backyard birds.
- 1. What type of bird you want to visit your yard.
2. What type of feeder will attract those wild birds.
3. Not all birds are able to eat from all feeders.
4. Most birds have a feeding style and food preference.
5. How often does a feeder need to be refilled? Size is a consideration.
6. Climate will sometimes dictate what type of feeder is appropriate.
7. Ease of cleaning is another factor in the choice of a feeder.
8. Aesthetics are important for some people.
9. Pests of all shapes and sizes will play a part in the selection.
10. Viewing area – at the back of the yard or a window feeder.
11. The number of feeders one wants to have and take care of.
12. Price of the feeder to purchase and the cost to fill it.
These are all things you should give some thought to before making your choice.
Some items on the list will be more important to you than others.
So make your best choice to start and experience will help you learn how to choose the right bird feeder.
What Are My Favourites?
As you entice our feathered friends to your feeders you will develop favourites too which will help you know how to choose the right bird feeder.
We have four distinct seasons where we live.
As I mentioned earlier, the time of year plays a big factor in which type of wild bird feeders I use and my time.
But just simply trying a new bird seed feeder is so much fun!
Choosing favourite types of wild bird feeders is hard for me because I am so passionate about my hobby and I like so many.
But these are my favourites! (I will tell you why on their individual pages.)
- Platform feeders are top on the list!
- Squirrel proof bird feeders! Squirrel Busters and Yankee Flippers ( Honest!)
- Peanut-N-Shell feeders
Watch the birds at these feeders and see how easy it is for them to eat when provided a variety of feeders suitable for their style of feeding.
Discover Different Types of Bird Feeders
- Squirrel Buster Plus Review Squirrel Buster Plus review will provide good reasons why this feeder will be the answer to many of the problems experienced while feeding wild birds outdoors.
- Ground Bird Feeder – A ground birdfeeder can be simply a patch of ground scattered with seed. But using a well-designed ground feeder will save your seed from waste.
- Bluebird Feeder – The wriggly morsels that are placed in Bluebird feeders do have charming ways, not only for Bluebirds but many other species too.
- Tube Feeders – This type of feeder can be used to attract smaller specific types of birds. They also serve as a deterrent for birds which are considered pests.
- What are the Different Types of Wild Bird Feeders? There are many, many different types and styles of each type of bird feeder available to make attracting a variety of wild birds so much easier and exhilarating! Learn about them here.