From WildBirdScoop.com Shop Amazon.com, .ca, .co.uk
Tube Bird Feeder
Help Keep the Large Birds Away!
1. Review of Tube Bird Feeders
Tube bird feeders come in many styles and will feed a variety of wild birds.
type of feeder can be used to attract smaller specific types of birds.
They also serve as a deterrent for birds which are considered pests, as
these unwanted birds are usually too large to mange most tube style bird feeders.
2. List of Features
Tube feeders come in many styles.
- A solid tube with perches and feeding ports alternately placed down the length.
- A solid tube with a seed tray or perch and seed openings around the bottom.
- A tube made from wire mesh with a solid wood or metal top and bottom.
3. What is the Best Seed Choice for This Feeder?
It is best to have one type of wild bird seed and avoid mixed seed.
If you buy a triple tube feeder which has 3 tubes attached together, for use with different types of seed.
types of wild birds feeding at this feeder, will as usual, only eat
their favourite seed. The seed which is left will clog the feeding ports
leaving their favourite seed out of reach.
- Black oil sunflower –
can be used in the first two styles listed above, with or without the
shells and in the mesh style, only in the shell if the mesh is small
enough to prevent the seed from slipping through.
- Shelled peanuts can be used in all three styles. But be sure the
mesh style has large enough holes to enable the birds to remove the
- Thistle bird seed (or nyjer seed)
requires a specifically designed tube feeder for this seed with very
tiny feeding ports. The seed is very small and light weight, making it
unsuitable for conventional feeders. Through experience I found this out
when the wind blew all the seed out of the feeder in short order. An expensive lesson! I quickly purchased a finch feeder.
4. What are the Positives?
The best advantage to this feeder is that larger birds, such as
Starlings, Blackbirds, Blue Jays, and Mourning Doves, etc, which tend to
be bullies and monopolize feeders, cannot eat from most types of tube
5. What are the Problems with Tube Feeders?
The very same
reasons that make this type of feeder a positive choice, also make it a
limiting style of feeder too.
A mixed seed blend does not work well in
this feeder so it limits the assortment of birds that one may want to
see at feeders such as Cardinals, Grosbeaks, and Blue Jays etc.
A triple tube bird feeder allows a variety of seed to be offered, each type of seed having their own tube holder.
6. Do People Like this Style of Bird Feeder?
Many people have told me they love this type of feeder and use two or three in their yard.
The little birds love
them because it is usually reserved just for them.
Many customers at
our store told me they only use tube feeders because they have less
Putting out another style of feeder for other types of wild
birds will round out the menu though.
7. List of Birds Attracted to a Tube Feeder
The size and what type of perches a particular tube feeder has will determine the type of bird that will use it:
Red Bellied Woodpecker
Discover Different Types of Bird Feeders
- Platform feeders are often referred to as tray feeders, table feeders or fly thru feeders. They are appropriately named "fly thru" because they are open allowing the birds to fly in, grab what they like and go.
- Window Feeders are an exciting way to draw backyard birds up close for a good look at their beauty and behaviour.
- Suet Feeders are a fantastic energy source for wild birds keeping them warm in winter and giving them the fuel they need for activities like territorial defence, mating, raising young.
All About Bird Feeders
How to Clean Seed
Feeders When we make the decision to draw wild birds to our
backyards with feeders, baths or houses we also, whether we first realize
it or not, must be committed to keeping them clean.
- Solve Bird
Feeding Problems Discover safe solutions to 19 backyard bird
feeding problems that can arise from time to time. Don't put up with
annoyances when there are fixes.
- Bird Feeder
Plans Enjoy homemade bird feeder plans that other site
visitors have shared. And please feel invited to share your plans with
everyone with photos too if you have them.
- Bird Feeders
FAQ Check out what other bird watchers are curious about and
discover the answers to questions that are often very common among
backyard birders. Throw your helpful ideas in too.
Home> Types of Wild Bird Feeders>
Tube Bird Feeders