Like Suet But, "Unsuet-suet"
Unsuet-suet? Interesting isn't it?
Most of us are familiar with and know what typical bird suet is. A mixture of many things (often left to the imagination) combined with the base which is animal fat of some kind. It can be served up in a variety of ways and used all year to provide an excellent energy source for our active feathered friends.
Nuthatches, Woodpeckers, Chickadees and many more birds will love this mystery delicacy. The biggest problem you will have is keeping it out there in your yard and available as it will be eaten very fast.
According to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology peanut butter is a nutritious food for wild birds.
Well "unsuet-suet" is very similar to what we have always known as suet but it has a very different base. Many different ingredients can be added to it, it can be molded into shapes and placed in various types of feeders like regular suet can.
I did not create this wonderful new food myself, it was created by another passionate wild bird appreciator by the name of Melissa J. Will. I just want to share this fun new idea with you!
Bonus 7 Part Series
When You sign up for our bi-monthly newsletter!
The primary base is: Peanut Butter
Peanut butter offers a good dose of fat which provides our fast paced little friends with abundant energy for their active lives and fuel to keep them warm.
It also has the added advantage of serving up an abundant supply of protein.
But like all oils whether it's found in animal fat or in peanut butter it must be served with care to prevent it from turning rancid as this could make our avian friends sick.
Suet Feeders ~ My Top Picks
This will also keep out Starlings & Blackbirds.
So please enjoy and here is the mystery recipe.
(More recipes here)
How to Make a DeliciousRecipe for Wild Bird Suet Without the "Suet"?
List of Ingredients:
- bird seed (shelled nuts) - black oil sunflower, white millet, cracked corn, peanuts, nyjer, safflower
- or use a commercial mixed seed blend
- dried fruit - raisins, currants, cranberries, chopped apricots & dates
- popcorn popped - no need to butter or salt
- Mix all the ingredients together except the peanut butter.
- Add the mixture to the peanut butter.
- Stir well, adding more peanut butter as necessary to hold the ingredients together.
- Mold the mixture into the shape you want, suitable to place in your suet cage.
Voila! The best suet that isn't, an excellent bird food recipe.
(Special thanks to Melissa J Will)
No Time? Not Handy? You Don't Have to Go Without!
Learn More About Suet
- What is Suet
Bird Food? Suet bird food is probably the most high energy wild bird food which can be offered to our feathered friends. Add food items to the fat base for more nutrition and fun for you.
- More Bird Suet Recipes So how much fun can you have with feeding suet to your backyard birds, just have a try with these eclectic suet recipes "Birders Delight", "It Must Be Love" & "Captain Crunch".
- Even More Recipes For Suet You can provide suet for the birds all year for lots of energy for their busy lives with "Four Season Suet" & "Leave Out the Starlings" with this otherwise bird yummy recipe.
Home> Suet Bird Food>
Please Take a Moment!
Was this information helpful?
Want to share with friends?
Was this information helpful?