How to Make Hummingbird Food?
What’s The Scoop On Hummingbird Food Nectar?
We will discuss here how to:
- Mix your own Hummingbird nectar.
- How to keep your feeder from dripping?
- The pros and cons of ready-made store-bought syrup.
- Is it harmful to Hummers to drink homemade nectar instead of natural sources?
Hummingbird food is a very simple syrup solution.
You can mix your own recipe for an energy drink suitable to attract hummingbirds to your backyard for great bird watching.
There are ready to mix solutions available for purchase too, which only require the addition of water.
Some Hummer food mixtures have various additives like natural food coloring and other nutritional additions, which in some experts’ opinions are not necessary and may be harmful.
How To Keep Your Hummingbird Food Safe
Boiling will kill any bacteria or mold spores that may be present. It will also reduce any chlorine or fluorine that is in the water.
It isn’t absolutely necessary to boil the water, especially if you change your syrup every day or every second day.
But, mold will be re-introduced into the sugar solution from the Hummingbird’s beaks, so starting out with a clean feeder is important.
It is also necessary to keep up a regular regimen of cleaning and refilling often with fresh syrup.
Fact, Hummingbird food made with water & sugar very closely resembles flower nectar in its makeup.
Hummingbird Nectar Made Properly
In A Glass Holder Is Best
2 Tips To Prevent Hummingbird Food From Leaking:
1. If you boil the sugar/water mixture before filling your feeder then allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before filling the feeder.
This is very important especially for a feeder with plastic threads.
If you don’t cool the syrup first, the heat will cause the threads of the feeder to expand.
The space now created in the loose-fitting threads will allow your hummingbird food to leak out.
Here is another very helpful tip for preventing leakage.
2. As you tighten the syrup holder (while it is inverted of course!) to the base of the feeder, do not over tighten. As soon as you feel it catch, stop! Our natural instinct is to “tighten-it-up” in the hope of preventing a leak. But if it is too tight then the threads become stripped and leaking occurs.
You will be amazed at how well both these tips work to stop the most aggravating problem of the syrup mixture leaking.
All part of good Hummingbird feeder maintenance!
Are There Substitutes For Sugar In Hummingbird Food?
Is Honey a Good Substitute to Use in Hummingbird Nectar?
But Harmful To Hummers
Honey has sometimes been recommended as a substitute for sugar in a syrup recipe. But honey is not a natural food for hummingbirds.
It spoils much faster than sugar water.
And most importantly honey contains bacteria that causes a fungal disease on the tongue of the Hummingbird and is always fatal!
So, never feed Hummingbirds honey.
What About Red Dye, Sweeteners & Other Additives?
Other things to avoid are artificial sweeteners, protein supplements, and red food coloring.
There is no energy in artificial sweeteners and protein supplements are not necessary as the birds will satisfy their need for protein by eating bugs.
Red food coloring is not a food source and can cause harm to the hummingbird’s small bodies.
How Does Homemade Syrup Compare to Natural Sources?
Hummingbirds will not choose your Hummingbird feeder to the exclusion of natural sources even though your feeder is very convenient.
What Strengths can Hummingbird Nectar be Mixed?
Flower nectar is a sucrose sugar much like the white sugar we purchase at the grocery store. The mixture recommended (1 part sugar to 4 parts water) closely matches the strength found in flower nectar in the mid-range of sugar strength found in flowers.
Wildflowers have a wide range of nectar sweetness strength with some up to 50:50 sugar content and others with a much weaker sugar content. The Hummers of course are getting a mix of sweetness strength as they flit from flower to flower.
Hummingbirds consume almost half their weight in sugar each day from natural and human-provided sources.
These tiny birds have a very high metabolic rate. Hummingbirds are extremely active all day in their nonstop quest for food so they burn energy quickly.
As a result, the sugar they consume through syrup feeders will not harm them.
If you mix the Hummingbird food correctly there will be no ill effects to the little Hummers.
Mixing a stronger solution of nectar for your feeders during high energy use times will be very helpful to Hummers. Spring arrival and just before fall migration will help Hummingbirds have the energy they need.
Hope you found this information helpful.
Join in and receive “Tips & Info” and share this site with your friends and family through the social sharing buttons below.
Be ready for the next Hummingbird season!
Best Nectar Feeders & Accessories
Nectar Feeders With 1-5 Gold Star Ratings
Important Hummingbird Feeder Accessories
Your Hummingbirds will love this!
Just place them in your existing birdbath and plug them in.
They come with their own pump.
- Eco-Friendly Solar Powered Fountain - Designed to function without the use of any electricity or batteries, this solar fountain pump turns on automatically 3 seconds after placed in full sunlight. No worry about turning it on or off. Works both submerged in water and floating
- 6 Nozzles for Different Spray Patterns - Comes with 6 different types of nozzle, this upgrade solar fountain enables you can change the height of water in different water patterns. Stream rises up to 20’’-30’’ height. The stronger the sun is, the higher and more constant the stream is. [Note: Solar panels must be fully exposed to sunlight, or the pump will not work]
- Relaxing Visual and Sound - Attracts birds of all kinds to your birdbath, which is delightful to observe. This solar fountain creates the delightful spray, and the relaxing bubbling sound, make your garden more attractive.
Last update on 2020-10-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Keeping Hummingbird Nectar From Freezing in colder climates is very possible and I have some great info that will help you do this successfully.
- Hummingbird Plants Produce flowers which are suited for Hummingbird beaks with elongated, bell-shaped flowers and if they are wildflowers and not hybrids produce lots of nectar.
- Cleaning Hummingbird Feeders The little Hummingbird is a feisty and fussy diner! If a good maintenance regimen is followed, bird watching in your backyard will be more rewarding.