(New Brunswick )
Suet Log for Woodpeckers & Songbirds
A Woodpecker Feeder that is really simple and it has been working for some time:
1. I picked up a piece of wood 2 X 4 inches and about 16 inches long. (A thick branch 4 inches wide would also be suitable.)
2. With a drill and a spade bit that is 1 inch wide.
3. Drill a hole on the flat side of the 2 X 4 near the top all the way through.
4. Next, about 6 inches below the first hole drill another hole.
5. Continue on until your last hole is 4 inches from the bottom of the 2x4.
6. I then took the table saw and made straight (well somewhat strait lines) under each hole about a 1/16 inch deep, the width of a blade (jigsaw or skill saw works too). This enables the wild birds to grip the wood easier while they are feeding. (You could also just score the surface under each hole with a sharpe tool or ruff up the area with sand paper.
7. On the end of the 2 X 4 put a screw with a hole and tie a rope to it and hang it somewhere.
My suet is from Walmart in a round form called a "suet plug" that slides in there or you can use cheap crunchy peanut butter.
This feeder works better than the one I bought.Thank you Jim!
I have seen other various versions of this type of feeder. I really like your design.
If you are able to take a picture I would love to post it for everyone to see.
Many other wild birds will use this Woodpecker Feeder such as Chickadees and Nuthatches.
More About Feeding SuetSuet Bird Food
It supplies not only a full belly but fuel to carry their little bodies through a bitter cold winter night.More Bird Suet Recipes
Bird suet recipes that will handsomely reward you in terms of increased visitation to your backyard feeders. Suet has always attracted the wild birds I am interested in watching, maybe you too."Unsuet-suet"
Well "unsuet-suet" is very similar to what we have always known as suet but it has a very different base. Wild birds love it, so get ready to make it often.
- Home ›
- Bird Feeder Plans ›
- Woodpecker Feeder