Will Balcony Hummingbird Feeders
Attract Wild Birds?
Michael from Asheville, NC asked this question, "Will Balcony Hummingbird Feeders Attract Wild Birds?
I am moving to a 4th floor apartment which has a balcony. Will Hummingbirds use a feeder that high off the ground?
The Answer to Your Question is, Yes!
Yes they will. You may have to work a little to get their attention first though.
Here is a list of things you can do to attract Hummers to your balcony:
Make sure your feeder is hung on the balcony so that it is visible from
lower points of view. Above the railing would be a good location.If it
is too close to the building then it may not be seen.
Be sure to
use a dripless feeder. Your neighbors below may not appreciate the
sticky syrup on their balcony. And neither of you will like the little
ants or bees that will follow. ;)
2. Hang flowering plants close
to your feeder.
Tube style blossoms like a fuchsia work well.
will also supply spiders and other bugs to help round out the Hummers
3. Hanging artificial flowers will have the same effect for attracting wild birds if you do not want to use real flowers.
4. Red is a good color to attract Hummingbirds along with a few other colors like orange and yellow. All bright colors will attract them but these three have been proven to be most effective.
5. Tying bright colored ribbon to your balcony will also provide the attraction factor.
Bonus 7 Part Series
When You sign up for our bi-monthly newsletter!
6. Providing the sound of water will draw wild birds in like a magnet.
Wild birds love water!
If you set up a bird bath
on your balcony with a mister or a dripper the Hummingbirds may delight you with aerial
- This mister and dripper combination is suitable for ground or pedestal bird baths or simply to leaf mist.
- Turns your yard into a bird magnet!
- Includes all components to use a dripper, mister, or both.
- Keeps a fresh supply of water in the bird bath without you having to add it every day.
- Hooks directly to your faucet, no electricity required.
Birds Choice Avian Mister & Dripper
Hummingbirds may not fly as high as some other migrating birds, such as the Canada Goose which flies between 2,000 to 8,000 feet high.
But they usually fly just above the tree tops when migrating, but some hot air balloonists have reported seeing Hummers at 500 feet.
Once you have successfully attracted one
Hummingbird, then your battle is over, others will soon follow.
you are faithful to hang your balcony hummingbird feeders every year, the birds will not
Are You Looking for Balcony
Bird Watching Equipment?
How to Feed Birds From a Balcony
Ask a question or share your experience here about feeding our feathered friends on balconies.
What Other Visitors Have Shared
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Comments for Balcony Hummingbird Feeders
Yes they will come!! by: Anonymous
I live on the 21st floor of a highrise in the middle of the city of St Louis and have a small red glass feeder on the East side of the building & provide homemade food (1/3 sugar: 2/3 water) ... no other flowers/plants/etc were necessary to attact them and for 2 years they have been feeding from my balcony all summer long.
My friends are amazed they will come up so high to feed.
Great Fun Watching them!
So yes.. they will visit a balcony! LOL
Hummers that don't share with others - by: Ellen
On my Mom's balcony one little guy runs everyone off.
What to do?
Feisty Hummingbirds by: Judy
This is very typical Hummingbird behaviour.
They are very feisty creatures and sharing quietly at feeders together is just not part of their makeup!
Hummingbirds will fight for the sole use of a feeder.
You could hang another feeder at the other end of the balcony.
This will not stop them from protecting the feeder they want but may give others more opportunity to feed.
The more syrup feeders that are available will make it difficult for one to dominate
Some great ideas for building a balcony garden which will be sure to attract birds, Vertical Balcony Garden Ideas
Hummingbird Feeders by: Cane
The balcony hummingbird feeder design posted on the webpage is very interesting.
I have many wild birds and some of the feeders posted on the website are great and very efficient.
I have tried some of them. Keep up the good work.
There is a lot to know about Feeding Hummingbirds, find more below & in sidebar at top.
- Hummingbird Food “The Energy Drink” This mixture is a very simple syrup solution, but you need to mix it in proper proportions or risk harming these little birds.
- Cleaning Hummingbird Feeders The little Hummingbird is a feisty and fussy diner! If a good maintenance regimen is followed, bird watching in your backyard will be more rewarding.
About Habitat & Behaviour
- Attracting Hummingbirds
is not that hard. There are ways to make attracting these beautiful
little birds to your backyard easier for hours of enjoyment.
- Hummingbird Feeder Wars You may not be able to stop a dominant bird from protecting it's food source, but you can turn down the effects.
- Hummingbirds Learn about the Western Hemispheres most interesting bird and the worlds smallest bird. Intriguing is only the beginning.
Will Hummingbirds Feed On a Balcony?
Please Take a Moment!
Was this information helpful?
Want to share with friends?
Was this information helpful?