Holiday Bird Seed Feeders
Bird Seed Feeders You Can Easily Make
Birdseed feeders can be made for bird watching enjoyment at any time of the year.
These tasty bird feed treats are fun to make.
A great activity for children to help out with, keeping them busy both making the treats and watching the wild birds enjoy their creations.
They can be quickly and easily made to give as gifts all year long.
These seed feeders are suitable as birthday gifts for seniors, young children, and for that matter, all ages.
They make the special occasion and excellent holiday gifts, especially at Christmas time.
A change of colored ribbon or ornament is all you need to make them suitable for any event or holiday.
(No Time? Not Handy? You Don’t Have to Go Without!)
How to Make Holiday Suet Balls?
Start with suet
(You can find a recipe for suet on our suet bird food recipes page.)
- Roll the suet into balls approximately 3” in diameter.
- Insert a strong hook deeply and firmly, into one end of a suet ball. (Christmas tree decoration hooks work well)
Now for the yummy stuff!
- Roll the suet balls in any kind of wild bird seed you wish: black oil sunflower seed, chopped peanuts, white millet, thistle seed, or a wild bird seed mix.
- You can make up your own wild bird feed mix too by combining the
above birdseed ingredients to roll the suet balls in. Or roll each
suet ball in one seed type only to give your suet balls a varied look.
Tie a ribbon around the hook and your backyard birds can enjoy a festive bird seed feeder treat.
Note: It may take more wild bird seed than you expect to make some of these treats.
Many wild bird stores provide wild bird seed bulk bins that make purchasing bird seed more affordable.
Sometimes purchasing your birdfeed in pre-packaged quantities can be more costly.
How to Make Pine Cone Treats?
Steps to Make:
- Collect pine cones (kids and grandkids love this project) or you can purchase pine cones at some craft stores.
- Tie a string or a ribbon (8-10” long) around the pointed end of the
pine cone under the first row of (petals) to hold the string or ribbon.
- Spread either peanut butter or softened suet over the cone.
- Roll the cone in the seed.
- Hang cone from the bottom of feeders, tree branches, clothesline, or any other location where they can be seen.
A pleasure to watch as the wild birds flock to them to enjoy their bounty.
How to Make Buffet Swags and Wreaths for Wild Birds?
Beautiful swags and wreaths that are not only decorative but tasty treats for our feathered friends make delicious birdseed feeders:
- Can be made by tying together small bunches of dried grasses, sunflower heads, Indian corn, and branches from berry bushes.
- For making a swag, arrange your selection together in a bunch and tie together with florist wire. Tie ribbon around the middle to decorate and it will also serve to attract the birds.
- To make a wreath the easy way to purchase a grapevine or straw form. (Styrofoam molds are not recommended as they will break apart and are not environmentally safe. It would also pose a toxic risk to the health of your wild birds.)
- Insert the grasses and berry branches alternately into the wreath. Tie on the sunflower heads and corn with florist wire and decorate with ribbon. Voila!
- Your homemade suet balls and pine cone treats will also make a tasty addition to your swags and wreaths.
All of these tasty and beautiful birdseed feeders are excellent backyard birding treats that make great gifts for the bird watchers on your gift-giving list at any time of the year.
No Time? Not Handy? You Don’t Have to Go Without!
You Can Make Your Own
- Free DIY Windowsill Bird Feeder There are many different ways to make a windowsill or bird feeding shelf. Here is one that is easy and straight forward.
- Ice Bowl Feeder A unique way to feed wild birds during the long cold winter season. It will bring interest and flair to your bird feeding fun! Kids love this DIY project.
- Free Bird Feeder Plans There is something so very satisfying in making something for your backyard birds to feed from. Free bird feeder plans offer you a variety of ways to do it.