Below are some interesting ways to feed squirrels.
Squirrels eat a varied diet in the wild, which provides better nutrition than just one food item.
Here is a list of foods squirrels like, some providing better nutrition than others.
Other foods that are acceptable:
- peanut butter
- roasted peanuts
- pistachio nuts
- pumpkin & pumpkin seed
- sunflower seeds
Do not feed:
- human food like bread, candy, cookies etc.
- nyjer seed (most squirrels don't like it)
- raw peanuts
A very simple squirrel feeder that you can easily make yourself.
1. Simply tie string, sisal rope (will be very strong), yarn, wire or chain to a basket or up-cycle a plastic takeout food container instead of using a basket.
2. Fill it with one of the squirrel foods from the list above.
3. Hang it up outside where you can enjoy watching the squirrels munching on the treat you provided for them.
Once you have given careful thought to these three questions, then you can make a better decision about what you will do.
harmony in your backyard!